Happy Birthday Mom – June 27th

ON June 27th 2018 my mother, Barbara (Bobbi) Jean Rainey would be 69 years of age.  Her ashes were sprinkled with love and carefulness – I visit her often and talk with her daily.

For her birthday I intend to create a memorial page on the National Kidney Foundation Website, where her story can be read by many and she will be an inspiration to those who are living how important the foundation is.  

While they do not have a cure and they could not save her life, someday they will find a cure and whether it will be a child, a young adult or someones mother, grand mother or great grand mother, their lives will be saved and Mother will be a part of that, living on to save others.

The National Kidney Foundation, assisted mother during her near decade on dialysis with transportation, dialysis treatment, medications that cost more than $1,000 a month and support – the knowledge of knowing they continuously strive for a cure.

The memorial page will include a $1000 donation made from my business, along with any $10 donations given by you.

My Mother past away last September 24th 2017 from Renal  Failure.  She spent almost a decade on Dialysis following a mild stroke.  The disease weakened many of her organ including her lungs and heart.  Near the end of her life mother was taking 22 medications a day and she was bedridden.  Unfortunately Mother did not walk the last 20 months of her life due to an unfortunate mistake by McKendree Manor, in Hermitage, Tennessee.

Lets go back a minute so I can explain how we arrived at this point.  
Mother was at Summit Hospital for several months with  
Clostridium difficile (klos-TRID-e-um dif-uh-SEEL), often called C.  diff It is a bacterium that can cause symptoms ranging from diarrhea to life-threatening inflammation of the colon.

Illness from C. difficile most commonly affects older adults in hospitals or in long-term care facilities and typically occurs after use of antibiotic medications. However, studies show increasing rates of C. difficile infection among people traditionally not considered high risk, such as younger and healthy individuals without a history of antibiotic use or exposure to health care facilities.
Each year in the United States, about a half million people get sick from C. difficile, and in recent years, C. difficile infections have become more frequent, severe and difficult to treat.

Following a release from Summit Hospital to a rehab center, mother spent a couple months there and was released to go home.
Mother lived in an apartment, she drove herself to dialysis, to the pharmacy, to the grocery – Mother embraced her independence and although she required much attention and help from her Children and Sisters, she truly was independent.

On a Saturday, in early March, mother was having her dialysis treatment at Fresenius Kidney Care – Vanderbilt East in Donelson and her heart went into Atrial Fibrillation and was transported to Summit Hostital in Hermitage, her blood pressure was bottoming out and her heart was in danger.

She was immediately admitted to the Critical Care Unit where she stayed for a week and was moved to a room after.  Mothers blood pressure and heart rate could not be stabilized and she went back to ICU a few days later.  Once, under control she moved back to a room where she spent another couple months as they monitored new medication to keep her stable.  Unfortunately, developing Pneumonia, she also had several rounds of antiobiotics.  Mother again contracted C diff.  

Months later mother was released to McKendree Manor for rehab.  a few days after admission, mother was sent by transport to Dialysis, unfortunately Mother was given a pill form of Dilaudid

This medication is used to help relieve moderate to severe pain. Hydromorphone belongs to a class of drugs known as opioid (narcotic) analgesics. It works in the brain to change how your body feels and responds to pain.

Side Effects
See also Warning section.

Nausea, vomiting, constipation, lightheadedness, dizziness, drowsiness, sweating, flushing, or dry mouth may occur. 

The McKendree Manor Nurse did not communicate that mother had this medication in her system so the transportation attendents did not know and they further did not communicate with Fresenius Kidney Care.  This was a fatal mistake for this Nurse and my mother.

When mother asked if the bathroom was free, as many mobile patients do, while waiting for their treatment time to begin, the nurse said yes.  Mother got out of her chair, unassisted, (while all over mothers room at McKendree Manor because of this drug — 24/7 assistance required, may not walk unassisted) and went into the bathroom.

Mother lie on the floor for and unknown period of time unable to reach the assistance button/chain.  When discovered, mother was transported to Summit Emergency.

The Nephrologist , at Summit, diagnosed her with overactive electrolytes, ordered her to ICU and a dialysis treatment.  The ER had done a cat scan of her head and finding nothing wrong, turned her over to the hospitals Nephrologis.  Over and again, same results “electrolytes”, 10 days later mother was released back to McKendree Manor, unable to move her legs and after several attempts to mobilize her by Summit Physical Therapy, they decided mother was not compliant  – thus released.  
I said NO mother is not to go back to McKendree – so I took her home to her apartment. 
Myself and her sister Jackie, tried to take care of her, mother cried in pain, Saturday morning came time  for dialysis and mother asked me if she could not go, she was hurting so badly.
I told her we were going back to the ER – I wanted a full body X-ray.

Once returning to the ER, the doctor did as requested.   White as a cotton sheet, he came to me with the results.
Mother had bi-lateral fractures in her hips and a broken femur in her right leg.

FINALLY, it made sense.  Summit and misdiagnosed her 14 days earlier and mother had suffered unnecessarily.

The doctor wanted to admit her – I said NO.  Call an ambulance we are going to Vanderbilt.  Mother will never come to this hospital again.
The doctor gave her a strong shot of Morphine and we were transported as requested to Vanderbilt.

Mother never walked again, she went to rehab at Greenhills Health Care.  Several months, 1 operation and 3 emergency rides to Vanderbilt which nearly took her life twice, I found a new house that could accommodate mother – then renovations to accommodate a stretcher, mother was moved to my house, where she had 24/7 nursing attention.

On Sunday morning September 24th, mother passed away surrounded by family – she drifted off peacefully and God took her without pain or discomfort.

None of us know what Gods plan is, nor what worldly acts might interfere with that plan or disease that might take over our bodies.  

There is opportunity for $10 donations that will be added directly to my mothers memorial with the NKF.  We are not a registered non profit and direct contributions will not be on behalf of the memorial.  So if you feel you can spare $10 be a part of this fantastic 69th birthday and donate via the link below.

If you happen to shop at Baby Trove in Old Hickory, know that the store is matching all sales for the next 10 days in celebration of a life that continues on through the strengths of the NKF.

My mother and I shared many spiritual hours in the days before her passing.  The book of Ruth was her favorite and Ephesians mine.  Mother believed in God, and when I asked her what she thought of heaven, she said to me its beautiful and I hope that by the grace of God you speak of God, I will get to see my Daddy first.  Mother passed that night, almost at the stroke of midnight.  I said kiss him for me.

Thank you for letting me share this with you!